Certified Dermatology Medical Assistant
The Medical Assistant position provides the patient with their initial experience of the clinical department in the practice. Therefore, it is expected the Medical Assistant will provide exceptional customer service to patients, guests and vendors at all times, regardless of the circumstances of a situation. Position is responsible for the efficient and accurate processing of patient information both over the telephone and in person, responding efficiently to patient and pharmacy requests. This position is required to perform both administrative and clinical duties as needed. Administrative duties may include scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, billing, and coding for insurance purposes. Clinical duties include: Assisting with direct patient care procedures and related tasks; preparing examination rooms, greeting patients, obtaining patient histories documentation in EMR, assisting with examinations, maintaining medications and supplies, communicating or placing orders for supplies as needed, educating and advising patients within established parameters. Practices infection control methods, maintains a clean clinical area, perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
All positions are considered essential to the workings of the practice. This position requires regular attendance, timely arrivals and availability to Providers, Management and Staff during working hours.
- Prepare treatment rooms for patient examinations, keeping the rooms neat and clean.
- Show patients to examination rooms and prepare them for the physician.
- Accurate and complete recording of patient’s medical history, vital statistics, and information such as test results, treatment plans, telephone calls, pharmacy interactions and other medical information in medical records into the computer.
- Accepts telephone calls/ messages from patients, pharmacies, labs etc. and process; documents all interactions with patients/others on the patient’s behalf.
- Assist physicians examine and treat patients, handing them instruments and materials or performing such tasks as setting up surgical trays, patch tests, drawing injectables, administering injections or removing sutures.
- Explain treatment procedures, medications, diets, and physicians’ instructions to patients.
- Clean and sterilize instruments using proper techniques, patient rooms, lab, and nursing areas and dispose of contaminated supplies in accordance with OSHA regulations.
Administer therapies, injections or topical medication as per practice guidelines, training requirements and state regulations.
- Authorize drug refills and provide prescription information to pharmacies.
- Collect blood, tissue, or other laboratory specimens, log the specimens, and accurately prepare them for testing.
- Receives lab results, using proper documentation, tracking and notification of results to providers as per office procedure.
- Inventory and order medical, lab, or office supplies and equipment.
- Tracking cosmetic usage and supplies per office guidelines
- Complete all daily checklists as per office guidelines.
- Communicates regularly with Providers on patient and practice needs.
- Maintaining patient education materials in specified locations as per office procedure.
- Maintains a basic knowledge of skin care products sold within the practice, cosmetic treatments, including pricing, specials, return policies, deposits, and payment requirements and be able to answer basic questions on the product, medical, surgical, and cosmetic treatments and services offered in the practice.
- The Medical Assistant shall work in cooperation with all other members of the practice and shall consult with the medical staff regarding patients as the need arises. It is expected the employee display an exemplary level of professionalism toward co-workers and Management in his/her interactions.
- Embracing positive communication standards is essential for any position within the Practice.
- Participates in Departmental and Staff meetings.
- Notifies of the need for medical supplies/ equipment that is not in proper working order including copy machine, lab equipment, computers, printers etc.
- Using logic and reasoning, identifies the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Assures the office is in a clean and orderly condition, properly stocked, and in a condition suitable to provide the services in a professional and appealing environment.
- Assures all sample medications, patch tests, injectables etc. are properly stored, organized and expiration dates are noted and replaced prior to expiration date occurring.
- The Medical Assistant may be asked to mentor/ train new staff at which time the Medical Assistant will be expected to maintain a positive and encouraging approach when working with new staff.
- Will work as a member of the Front Desk Team as needed including but not limited to assisting with incoming calls, sending reminders out, scheduling appointments, checking patients in and out of the practice, collecting payments, utilizing the day sheet, providing administrative assistance in regard to scanning information to billing company, straightening the waiting area, contacting insurance companies and all other duties as assigned.
- The Medical Assistant shall keep and maintain the privacy and confidentiality of all patient information, including personal information, treatment, and financial information, in accord with the standards of all federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Active Learning – Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem solving and decision-making.
- The Medical Assistant will be expected to maintain a flexible schedule to participate in staff and departmental meetings, training sessions and practice events such as cosmetic functions and open- house events.
Experience and Education
The MA must minimally have a high school diploma or equivalent, have successfully completed a Medical Assistant training program or higher. Registered or Certified Medical Assistant accomplishment is preferred.
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Full time
- Day Shift
- Monday to Friday
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Dermatology: 1 year (Required)
- BLS Certification (Preferred)
- Certified Medical Assistant (Required)