Avant Dermatology & Aesthetics provides board-certified, fellowship trained surgical dermatology in Tucson, Arizona. Surgical dermatology is a specialized branch of dermatology that focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of skin conditions such as benign and malignant skin growths, skin cancers, cysts, moles, and other skin abnormalities.
Some common surgical dermatology procedures include:
- Excision: Removal of skin lesions, such as moles, cysts, or skin cancers, with a scalpel or other surgical tools. This is typically done under local anesthesia.
- Mohs micrographic surgery: A specialized technique used to treat certain types of skin cancer, such as basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma. This procedure involves removing the cancerous tissue in thin layers, while preserving as much healthy tissue as possible, and examining each layer under a microscope to ensure all cancer cells have been removed.
- Cryosurgery: The use of extreme cold, usually through liquid nitrogen, to destroy abnormal or diseased tissue, such as warts, actinic keratoses, and certain types of skin cancer.
- Laser surgery: The use of high-intensity light to treat a variety of skin conditions, including vascular lesions, pigmented lesions, and certain types of skin cancer.
- Electrosurgery: The use of electric current to destroy abnormal tissue or control bleeding during surgical procedures.
- Skin grafts and flaps: Surgical techniques used to repair or replace damaged or missing skin, often after skin cancer removal or in the case of severe burns or other traumatic injuries.
Surgical dermatology requires specialized training and expertise to ensure the best possible outcomes for patients. Dr. Sheila Farhang is a board-certified dermatologist and double-fellowship trained cosmetic surgeon as well as a reconstructive Mohs micrographic (skin cancer) surgeon.
socialize with avant