The key structural components of the skin are collagen and elastin. They support firm, smooth, even toned skin and provide volume, structure, shape and contours. Aging and sun damage deteriorate collagen and elastin and lead to wrinkles, sagging skin and hyperpigmentation.
What is microneedling?
Microneedling is collagen induction therapy. Collagen induction therapy boosts production of collagen and elastin to smooth and tighten the skin, renew skin tone and texture, volumize, restore shape and enhance contours. The result is a plump, youthful complexion.
Microneedling is a minimally invasive procedure well – documented to rejuvenate the skin, erase sun damage, pigmentation issues, fine lines and wrinkles. New collagen and elastin firm and tighten to reduce sagging and improve the appearance of old scars.
How does microneedling work?
Microneedling is a procedure that creates thousands of controlled injuries to the top layer of skin. The depth, spacing and pattern are controlled to stimulate collagen and elastin where you need it most.
The micro injuries induce the skin’s wound healing cascade. Growth factors are released as part of the skin’s self-repair mechanism and rush to the site of injury to repair and regenerate skin cells, collagen and elastin. The result is a healthy, smooth and glowing complexion.
What can be treated with microneedling?
Microneedling is safe and effective for all skin types. In addition to treating many common cosmetic concerns, microneedling can reduce pore size and oiliness, reduce the appearance of stretch marks, and stimulate hair restoration.
- Atrophic acne scars are depressed because there was inadequate collagen during healing. New collagen can lift, and fill sunken scars including boxcar, rolling and sometimes pitted scars.
- Surgical and traumatic scars can be repaired to reduce their prominence.
- Loose skin has lost its elasticity and structural support. New collagen and elastin will firm, tighten and lift the skin to reduce sagging.
- Stretch marks are the results of a disruption in collagen production. Microneedling can remodel and improve the appearance of stretch marks.
- Pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia) affects men and women. In women the effect is a diffuse thinning of the hair and a more pronounced part. Microneedling with biologic hair growth injection therapy has been shown to stimulate hair regrowth.
- Microneedling stimulates skin cell turnover to correct pigmentation problems, and photoaged skin, and smooth lines and wrinkles.
Before beginning the procedure, your face will be thoroughly cleaned and a special topical numbing cream will be applied for your comfort. The needle depth is controlled so the treatment can safely go deeper than can be obtained with home use microneedling tools. The micro needles break the skin barrier to stimulate wound healing and allow for the infusion of special medical grade serums like retinol, vitamin C, or biologic growth factors to penetrate and be absorbed. After treatment, your skin will be pink and glowing. Dr. Farhang uses a variety of tools including the Morpheus8. This tool combines radiofrequency technology and microneedling to address a variety of skincare problems. It is called RF Microneedling.
The advantages of professional microneedling
- It is safe and effective for all skin types and tones, which makes it preferable to laser treatment or chemical peels
- Professional microneedling is more effective than home needling
- Home use needles can damage your skin and cause scarring
- There is little to no downtime
- Specific areas can be treated
- There is no risk of photosensitivity or post – treatment hyperpigmentation
- Difficult to reach areas that are not suitable for laser resurfacing can be treated with microneedling
- Improvements are virtually immediate and continue to progress over the course of 4-6 weeks while new collagen and elastin are generated.
A series of treatments will be recommended, the number of treatments will depend on your situation. Three to four treatments spaced 4 – 6 weeks apart are the usual recommendation.
During your consultation with Dr. Sheila Farhang, she will examine your skin, review your health history, listen to and evaluate your concerns and formulate a plan to address your specific needs and goals.
Dr. Sheila Farhang is a board – certified dermatologist and dual fellowship trained Mohs surgeon, reconstructive surgeon, and cosmetic surgeon who provides medical and cosmetic dermatological services in Tucson Arizona.
Dr. Farhang is a key opinion leader who integrates the most innovative, state of the art treatments with an integrative medicine approach. Call today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Farhang.